Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fudgy Mocha Brownies: Eagle Brand Condensed Milk

I always say you should scour the Internet for recipes, and one of the best places is "Brand" sites. I've posted recipes from Hershey's and Baker's and Godiva, as well as various food associations, so today I thought I'd post a recipe from Eagle Brand Condensed Milk (Borden's).  I always have condensed milk around for baking. Got to love Elsie the Cow, the Borden's Mascot. Elsie made her debut in 1939, and after 70 years, Elsie still symbolizes trust, quality and freshness for the products Borden creates.

Did you know that Gail Bordon patented his invention for making condensed milk in 1856 and that his company was the first manufacturer of condensed milk? Follow this link to an article from Smithsonian Magazine to learn more about this miraculous food product.

I love this recipe for Fudgy Mocha Brownies which I first found on the Eagle Brand website. Sometimes I use ground espresso beans instead of coffee granules, and you can substitute a few other things such as DARK cocoa.

FUDGY MOCHA BROWNIES

Ingredients
No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour, divided
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2/3 cup unsweetened DARK cocoa
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Madegascar vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 tablespoon hot water
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Optional: Pillsbury® Chocolate Frosting (or make your own)

Directions
1. HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray 8 x 8-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray.
2/ COMBINE 1 cup flour and sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press firmly into prepared pan.
3. BAKE 12 to 15 minutes.
4. COMBINE sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, egg, 1/4 cup flour, vanilla and baking powder in large bowl. Dissolve instant coffee granules in hot water and add. Mix well. Stir in nuts. Spread over baked crust.
5. BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until center is set.
6. Cool. Frost (optional)

3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Who can resist Elsie:) I think I posted about her and Borden a while back. I'll have to check.

It's funny that you're posting a recipe using Eagle Brand Condensed Milk. They made some of the best "Brand" retro cookbooks. I just baked their recipe for Peanut Butter Drops Friday night. This recipe looks equally as simple and just as good.

Thanks for sharing, Janet. Happy New Year to you and yours:)

I'm having a Cookbook Party at my blog for my Blogoversary, Drop by if you get a chance.

P.S. Sure would be cool if you could dig up a recipe for the debut of Father Knows Best; October 3rd. I can't get to it this year. Maybe this link will help.

Anonymous said...

I made these today and followed instructions carefully. The bottom crust part tasted biscuit-y and this was nothing like normal brownies. What did I do wrong? Or did I do nothing wrong? Takes some getting used to.

Janet Rudolph said...

I don't think you did anything wrong, but it's always an adjustment. What type of cocoa did you use? How's your oven.. correct heat? Maybe in the oven too long depending on your oven. just a possibility.