Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Cocoa: Pattie Tierney

My friend Pattie Tierney has several fabulous websites that encompass my own passions: Food and Mystery. I've asked her to guest blog before, and she's always posted something wonderful. So, this past month I saw her recipe and post for Pumpkin Pie Cocoa, and I knew readers of dyingforchocolate.com would love this. So here's a repost of this fun and easy delicious recipe. Perfect for the Fall and Halloween. Thanks, Pattie!

Pattie Tierney is a blogger, reader, traveler, diner, jewelry-maker, and lover of all things chocolate and mysterious. Visit Pattie's Etsy store for really cool and crafty mystery jewelry, and check out her mouth-watering blog: Olla-Podrida. Follow her on Twitter @pattietierney

PATTIE TIERNEY: PUMPKIN PIE COCOA

I spent a good bit of time the past couple of days "whipping up" (and yes, I did use the term facetiously here) the meal we enjoyed for dinner tonight, and that graces the cover of the October 2011 issue of Bon Appetit. It is a good one (stay tuned later in the week for the results and step-by-step tutorial), but it took up so much time that I thought I deserved a break.

So I decided to enjoy the beautiful day, put my feet up, and peruse the latest issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray (I do seem to have a one-track mind, don't I?). Craving something pumpkin (as I tend to do this time of the year), this recipe leapt off the page at me, and sent me right back into the kitchen. Pumpkin and chocolate (for those of you know don't know) is an excellent combination. It was nearly a year ago when I first acquainted you with this combo in the recipe for Harvest Pumpkin Loaf. Now here I am again acquainting you with yet another and, people, this one is DECADENT! I groaned when I took my first sip, that's how good it is. Since I only wanted to make one cup I cut the recipe in half. I used Williams-Sonoma's Sweet Ground Chocolate instead of hot cocoa mix (pricey but well worth it), and added a pinch of pumpkin pie spice to the whipped cream.

Try it. Go ahead. I'm sure you deserve it.

Pumpkin Pie Cocoa

2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
1/2 cup hot cocoa mix
3 tbsp. canned pure pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup whipped cream

In a saucepan, whisk milk, cocoa mix, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice; heat until steaming. Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream.

Originally posted at Olla-Podrida. Reprinted with permission.
Photo: Pattie Tierney

5 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Thanks for the lovely post, Janet. I made this again over the weekend and it was just as delicious as I'd remembered it was the first time. So decadent!. I still have so many pumpkin recipes yet to try. I will report!

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, Pattie, for sharing this great recipe...

Bobbi Mumm said...

What a lovely photo! This makes me crave chocolate and pumpkin and I never thought I'd crave the two in combination. My daughter says, "Let's have that on Hallowe'en after Trick or Treating!" She likes to look at all of the Dying for Chocolate Blogs. Thanks, Pattie!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh you two. Look what you've done. I need this NOW with some of those fabulous cookies. Ah might as well throw in some Chocolate Pasta for Pasta Day too!!!

Shawn said...

I am sooo going to make this!