Amy's Gourmet Apples are delicious and offer incredible variety. They're also inspirational if you'd like to make your own. Be sure and visit their website to see all the ways you can 'upgrade'.
There are so many ways to dress up your Chocolate Caramel Apples with drizzle techniques or rolling in nuts or chopped candy bars or sea salt. For your chocolate, you can use milk, dark, or white chocolate or a mixture of all three. Experiment! These Chocolate Caramel Apples are great to serve for Halloween!
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL APPLES
4 ripe firm apples
4 wooden skewers
14 ounces soft caramel candy
2 tbsp water
10 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp shortening
2 cups chopped candy bars, nuts, or sea salt or M&Ms
1. Line baking sheet with waxed paper and and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Wash and dry the apples carefully or dip in boiling water for under a minute to remove any wax. Cool. Remove stems, and stick the skewers firmly in stem ends.
3. Place unwrapped caramels and the water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir, then microwave for additional minute until completely melted and smooth (and liquidy)
4. Hold apple by skewer and dip in caramel, tilting bowl at an angle and rotating apple to cover completely with smooth, even layer. Set on wax paper. Repeat with remaining apples.
5. Refrigerate caramel-covered apples for 30 minutes to set.
6. Heat chocolate and shortening in microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted and smooth.
7. Dip caramel-covered apple in chocolate. Spoon chocolate over top to cover apple completely.
8. While chocolate is still wet, dip bottom half in chopped candy bars, nuts or seasalt (or whatever!) and roll until bottom half is covered. Place back on baking sheet and repeat with remaining apples.
9. Chill apples in refrigerator until completely set-45 minutes.