Tuesday, June 16, 2009

National Fudge Day

Today is National Fudge Day, not to be confused with National Nutty Fudge Day. Yes, plenty of holidays to celebrate chocolate. On May 11, I blogged about National Nutty Fudge Day and the history of fudge and gave three recipes. I'm not a candy maker, and the first two recipes are quite easy. Alton Brown's recipe is a bit more complicated and requires a candy thermometer.

Look up the other recipes, and here's another easy one. This is a variation on my Foolproof Dark Chocolate Fudge Recipe.
2 cups (about 12 oz) organic fair-trade high % cacoa chocolate, broken up
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with foil.
Combine chocolate and sweetened condensed milk in heavy-duty saucepan. Warm over lowest possible heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla extract.
Spread evenly into prepared baking pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove foil. Cut into 48 pieces.

Pretty easy!!! Remember you can vary the taste of your fudge through the chocolate you use.


~~louise~~ said...

Oh my, does that look good. I sure could use an afternoon pickup!

Chocolate holidays alone could fill up an intoxicating calendar. Hmm...Perhaps, there's one in your future???

Janet Rudolph said...

Intoxicating. Hm... another chocolate liqueur day?

~~louise~~ said...

I'll have to check into that. In the meantime, I ran across this lovely article that I'm sure you will enjoy.

Janet Rudolph said...

What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sending. I've been to Perugia--spend time in Florence as a student--and always loved Baci chocolate. We use to say, " Baci, baci, Kiss, kiss.."

~~louise~~ said...

You are more than welcome, Janet. I'm glad you liked it.