Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Mexican Truffles for Cinco de Mayo
The first is a recipe for Tequila Truffles that I've posted before. I love this one, and you really do taste the Tequila. I sometimes roll Tequila Truffles (the ganache part) in cocoa....or dip them in dark chocolate and sprinkle with course sea salt. Either way works. The third recipe is for Mexican Chocolate Truffles and the third is for Spicy Mexican Truffles. Try all three!
This recipe is adapted from Divine Chocolate. I probably didn't need 100 or more truffles as in the original recipe :-) I must admit that I'm a bit haphard in measurements when I make these. I adhere to my grandmothers's a pinch of this, a pinch of that method. I daresay, though, that my grandmother would never have made Tequila Truffles.
14 oz white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tsp white tequila
1 tsp grated lime zest
Drop of fresh lemon juice and drop of fresh lime juice or 1/4 tsp each of lime and lemon oil (natural)
1 - 1 1/4 lbs. dark chocolate (70% cacao) for dipping, chopped into small chunks
Coarse sea salt
1. Line shallow baking pan with saran wrap or any plastic wrap, overlapping 2 or more sheets as needed, and leaving a generous overhang on two sides (enough to cover the ganache once it is in the pan).
2. Place white chocolate in food processor and process to crumb consistency. Add tequila, zest, and juice or oils.
3. Bring cream to a boil in small pan. With food processor on, pour cream through feed tube, processing fortotal of 20-30 seconds, until mixture is perfectly smooth. Scrape ganache into plastic wrap-lined pan and let cool at room temperature, without stirring.
4. Once ganache is cool, fold plastic wrap over it and let sit at room temperature for several hours, preferably overnight, until firm enough to scoop. You can always refrigerate, but the texture of the truffles won’t be quite as silky. Once the ganache has set, chilling won’t hurt it.
5. To shape truffles, use melon baller to form balls of ganache. If needed, smooth the surface with hands. (I do both)
6. Place centers (ganache balls) slightly apart on tray lined with parchment or wax paper. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, until surface is dry and slightly crusted, at least 2 hours, preferably longer.
1. Temper dark chocolate by melting about 75% of the chocolate either in double boiler or in microwave until it reaches about 100°F. Add remaining 25% of solid chocolate to bowl and mix until all melts and temperature reaches about 90°F. Dip truffles one at a time (I use the two fork method I've posted before) in melted chocolate, let excess drip off and place on tray lined with parchment or wax paper.
2. Sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt before chocolate begins to harden. Continue with remaining truffles, but if dark chocolate becomes to cool, reheat a bit until it gets back up to about 90°F.
3. Let sit at room temperature. Store truffles in a covered container at cool room temperature for up to 10 days.
Mexican Chocolate Truffles
from Elizabeth LaBau on About.com
Although it doesn’t use actual Mexican chocolate (although you could), this easy chocolate truffle recipe has cinnamon, almonds, and coffee for a sweet spiced Mexican chocolate taste. Unlike most truffle recipes, the chocolate is not melted but remains in small chunks. For this reason, it’s important to chop the chocolate very finely so that it’s evenly incorporated throughout the candy.
4 ounces dark chocolate (60-75% cacao, very finely chopped
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup almond paste
1 Tbsp strong coffee
1/2 tbsp sweet butter, melted
1/4 cup DARK cocoa powder
1- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. In large bowl, combine chopped chocolate, sugar, almond paste, coffee and melted butter. Stir with wooden spoon until comes together and forms smooth paste.
2. Combine cocoa powder and cinnamon in shallow bowl or pie tin.
3. Using teaspoon, scoop up small balls of the truffle mixture and roll it into ball in between your hands. Roll ttruffle in cocoa-cinnamon mixture, and place it on baking sheet or plate.
4. Repeat with remaining truffle mixture and cocoa powder. Refrigerate truffles for 2 hours before serving. If you are making these ahead of time, transfer chilled truffles to airtight container in the refrigerator so they don’t get too dry or absorb other odors. Take out and leave at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Spicy Mexican Truffles
1/3 cup heavy cream
6 Tbsp sweet butter, chopped
2 cups Dark Chocolate (60-85% cacao), chopped
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 Tbsp ground cardamom
1/2 Tbsp orange peels
Pinch of Salt
In saucepan bring cream to simmer.
Add butter and stir until melted.
Stir until completely melted and smooth.
Stir in cayenne, cardamom, orange peels and salt.
Remove from heat and pour into shallow bowl.
Cool, cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
Using melon baller or hands, roll mixture into small balls.
Roll each ball in cocoa.