Thursday, January 20, 2011
Chocolate Granola Two Ways: National Granola Bar Day
Adapted from Cooking Light
3 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup Cheerios
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 300
1. In a large bowl, toss together oats, Cheerios, brown sugar, slivered almonds, salt and cinnamon.
2. In a small saucepan, stir together honey and canola oil. Cook until warm over low heat, about 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and chocolate until smooth. Drizzle over the oat mixture
4. Coat hands lightly with light oil spray and gently mix chocolate mixture and oat mixture until combined.
5. Scoop out mixture and place on large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread to an even layer.
6. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
7. Remove and stir in cranberries.
8. Place on a wire rack until it has cooled completely.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars
adapted from Margaret Tung on Cook Eat Share
(makes two 9x9inch squares)
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat (or all purpose flour)
3/4 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
2 teaspoons Madegascar vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9 x 9 inch glass baking dishes with parchment paper. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, dried cherries, slivered almonds, coconut, and chocolate chips together in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl mix butter, honey, and vanilla.
3. Split mixture into baking dishes and use your hands to pat it into the square of the pan.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
5. Cool and cut into bars