Pages

Friday, August 12, 2016

Chocolate Covered Breadsticks: Bread and Chocolate

Bread and Chocolate: How I Survived in Europe on $5 a Day.

Many years ago I traveled throughout Europe with the Europe on Five Dollars a Day guidebook, a Eurail Pass, a baquette (frequently replenished), and bars of chocolate. Today I'm more into the 2-4 Michelin star meals, but back then I had very little money, and there were exceptional crunchy baquettes and high quality French and Belgium chocolate to be had for a song. Filled me up--and delicious!

Today, I recreate those times... taking it up a notch with Chocolate Covered Breadsticks. I use skinny pre-made breadsticks, but if you have the time, you can make your own breadsticks. I use Italian breadsticks. Remember it's all about the quality of the breadsticks and the chocolate!

Want to get creative? After dipping the breadsticks in chocolate, sprinkle with chopped pistachios or kosher salt or sea salt. These chocolate covered breadsticks go great with a cup of coffee or tea. Want to serve them as an hors d'oeuvre? Wrap prosciutto tightly around the breadstick before dipping in chocolate. This works better with fatter, breadier breadsticks, at least for my taste.

CHOCOLATE COVERED BREADSTICKS

Ingredients
2.5 ounces dark chocolate (65-85% cacao)
12-15 very thin breadsticks

Directions
Melt chocolate and dip quickly up 3/4 length of breadsticks.
Let excess chocolate drip off.
Put coated sticks on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes to harden.

No comments: