Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chocolate Lovers' Oatmeal

Brr... it's cold outside, and you need to be fortified before you face the crowds or the workplace. What's better to fortify you than Chocolate Oatmeal?  I've posted chocolate oatmeal recipes before, but when I saw this one, I had to try it. As with most recipes, you can vary the ingredients to match your own taste.

I'm a big fan of Coach's Oats. If you haven't tried these yet, you're in for a treat. Coach’s Oats are prepared in a totally different way. The groats are toasted to bring the natural sugars to the surface of the oat, then cracked into small pieces. This patented Cracked n' Toasted™ process means that Coach’s Oats are always firm, never mushy. This recipe is from Coach's Oats (reprinted with permission). Always use the best ingredients. So I know that the Oats are great, and I use premium DARK cocoa. I'll be posting about various cocoas in the near future. I'm a big honey fan, so I use honey rather than sugar, maple syrup or agave, but be sure and experiment.

CHOCOLATE LOVERS' OATMEAL

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup Coach Oats ® (for thicker oatmeal, add 2-3 Tbsp. more oats)
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
Your choice of sweetener: Raw sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar.  (I use honey)*
2% milk or almond milk (I use whole milk)*

PREPARATION
1. Bring water to a boil in saucepan. Once water is boiling, add Coach Oats® and lower heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes (stirring occasionally). Add cocoa powder and mix well until lumps are gone. Stir in sweetener.
2. Top chocolate oatmeal with fresh fruits such as bananas, blueberries, strawberries or raisins. For an additional treat, sprinkle with chopped almonds and/or toasted grated coconut.
Optional: Stir in peanut butter and/or quick dissolving whey protein for extra protein.
3. To finish up, pour desired amount of 2% milk or almond milk over oatmeal.

Photo: Coach's Oats, reprinted with permission

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chocolate oatmeal? Yum!