Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chocolate Walnut Brownies

Once again a reminder to check out specific food associations and food products for fabulous recipes. I often go to Walnuts.org for new recipes because I love Walnuts! I had 40 black walnut trees in my backyard when I lived in the flatlands of Berkeley. I lived in an old Victorian in what was originally known as Oceanview, and I'll bet those trees were part of an old orchard. I used to harvest them (wearing gloves/they're messy) and use them in all kinds of recipes. Now I get my walnuts at the farmer's market! There's nothing quite like fresh walnuts.

I've adapted this recipe for Chocolate Walnut Brownies from a recipe submitted by Rebecca Friedman to the Walnuts.org website. I've posted lots of brownie recipes over the years, because I really do believe you can't have enough Brownie or Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes.

CHOCOLATE WALNUT BROWNIES

¾ cup sweet butter
¾ cup chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
2/3 cup unsweetened DARK cocoa powder
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
½ teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract
4 eggs
¾ cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a 9”x9” square baking pan.
3. In a double boiler over low heat, melt butter and chocolate chips together and remove from heat.
4. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
5. When the chocolate/butter mixture has cooled a little whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
6. Note: it is important to cool the chocolate/butter mixture or the eggs will cook.
7. Add the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
8. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
9. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
10. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean.


Brownie Photo: Walnuts.org

No comments: