Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2023

BARBIE: I Left My Heart in San Francisco!

So much press about Barbie now with the premiere of the new Barbie movie! Everywhere you look, it's all about Barbie. So it's time for another Barbie post!


If truth be told, I fancied myself 'too old' for Barbie Dolls, so I never had any or played with anyone else's dolls. Nevertheless, I secretly admired the dolls for their clothes. I often designed clothes for my paperdolls, and I could easily have seen myself designing for Barbie. Alas, that was another career not fulfilled. (If you're looking for some really outstanding Barbie outfits with impeccable tailoring, design, and details, don't miss my friend Kathleen Taylor's Etsy shop - KathleenTaylorsStuff)

And, in case you don't know, Barbie is a chocolaholic. She is very partial to See's Candies, as am I. I finally got my first Barbie doll, the "I Left my Heart in San Francisco" Barbie, when I did a special event for the San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau (now known as San Francisco Travel). I love this Barbie--so San Francisco! She's dressed in an early 60s outfit, with hat and gloves, out for a day of lunch and shopping, with a wonderful See's Candies shop in the background. I like to think she's a lady who lunches, probably in Union Square. 


The following See's Candies dolls use to sell at See's. No longer, but you can find them on eBay, and other sites.




No comments: