Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Retro Ad & Recipe for Deep South Peanut Pie

O.K. this is a very weird Retro 1940s Karo Syrup Advertisement, but since it features the Karo Kid as a New Year's baby,  I thought I'd post it. I love Peanut Pies. Add a Chocolate Cookie Crust, and I'm in heaven. Peanuts and Chocolate -- great way to start the New Year.


DE LUXE PEANUT PIE

Ingredients
2 eggs beaten
1 cup Karo Syrup, Blue Label (dark syrup)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter or margarine 
1 cup shelled, roasted peanuts

Directions
Roll pastry 1/8-inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie pan. Mix remaining ingredients together, adding peanuts last. Pour into pastry shell. Bake in hot oven (400˚F) 40 minutes or until a silver knife inserted in center of filling comes out clean.

To make Peanut Tarts:
Follow above recipe for De Luxe Peanut Pie using 1 recipe pastry. Line 6 to 8 individual tart shells. Pour in filling. Bake in hot oven (400˚F) 20 to 25 minutes.

2 comments:

Gail The Reading Lady said...

Southern born and bred; but never seen a peanut pie! Pecan pies and peanut butter pies. Now, take a bag of salted peanuts and pour them in an ice-cold Dr. Pepper, that's fantastic!

Lucy Pumkinjack said...

I made a peanut pie when I was twelve years old. It was great. I was actually making a pecan pie, but didn't have the pecans. My grandmother gave me peanuts instead. Yum!