Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Marmite & Chocolate

You may not have tasted Marmite. Marmite is the name given to two similar food spreads: the original British version, first produced in the United Kingdom and later South Africa, and a version produced in New Zealand. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing.

The British version of Marmite is a sticky, dark brown paste with a very distinctive and powerful flavor, which is extremely salty and savory. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it."

But Chocolate and Marmite?

Paul A. Young makes a Marmite Truffle, and I've tried them. Very unique flavor, but perhaps you need to have grown up with marmite. I didn't. These truffles; however, are not 'tar in a jar'.  A new purveyor of Marmite Truffles is Cocoa Magic out of Cardiff. Haven't tried these yet! Found a review on For You to Love
I tried a Very Peculiar Milk Chocolate Marmite Bar at the Fancy Food Show. Can't say I loved it, but then I'm not a big Milk Chocolate fan. It was salty and sweet at the same time. I think Dark Chocolate would be better.

In the U.S., Marmite can be found at Cost Plus World Market and other specialty food stores.

Let me know if you have any Chocolate and Marmite recipes you'd care to share! Or send your Marmite experiences.

5 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

I love all about chocolate! gloria

Kerrie said...

Understand that Marmite and Vegemite are very different. Self-respecting Aussies do not eat Marmite!

Janet Rudolph said...

Oops... thanks, Kerrie!

Paul Marshall said...

I have made my own version of Marmite chocolatewhoch also contains Marmite cashews it's delicious. Visit http://comparethemarmite.com.

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, Paul.. how cool!