Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

FANNY FARMER FUDGE: Guest Post by Kathleen Taylor

As I've said before, my worlds of mystery and chocolate collide, more than a few times. I'm a member of a small group of Facebook 'friends' who post a photo a day, each day a different theme. Over the past few years that I've been a member, I've really come to know these women. One of them is Kathleen Taylor whose Tory Bauer mysteries I read years ago. I loved them.. and I love her. She does so much and is always funny and witty! I follow her adventures in knitting (she's a knitting expert!), too, although this is a skill that has alluded me. We do share a common love of chocolate!. Kathleen Taylor is the author of 6 Tory Bauer mysteries, 5 knitting books, a bookazine (Hand Knit Socks, on the stands now) and one mainstream novel, teaches knitting classes around the country, and talks about whatever occurs to her at Kathleen Taylor's Dakota Dreams (http://kathleen-dakotadreams.blogspot.com/ ). She loves fudge. Enjoy this recipe! Perfect for the holidays!

KATHLEEN TAYLOR: 
CHAR FORD'S 1979 FANNY FARMER FUDGE 

In the '70s, we lived in a housing development called Shar-Winn Estates. There were maybe fifteen houses in the development, and mostly families with young children lived in them. Every December, the ladies would get together for a cookie and candy exchange (no wine, just cookies and candy. I wonder why there was no wine). We made dozens of each and traded them out, along with the recipes. Most of those recipes have fallen by the wayside, but one from 1979, has become a perennial favorite in my house: Char Ford's Fanny Farmer Fudge.

Over the years, I tinkered with the recipe a bit because it seemed a little dry and crumbly. I increased the butter from 1/4 cup to 3/4 cup. The fudge now comes out fail-safe creamy and wonderful.


See? Butter? Lots of butter. Don't worry that the butter is added last, (as opposed to most fudge recipes), it works and I don't question it.

Char Ford's 1979 Fanny Farmer Fudge Recipe 
makes 5 lbs

Ingredients
4 cups sugar
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
18 ozs semi-sweet chocolate chips
¾ cup butter
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

Generously butter 9" x 13" pan

In a large sauce pan, bring the sugar and evaporated milk to a boil. On medium heat, boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add the vanilla and the chips and stir until they're mostly melted. Then add the butter and stir until melted and everything is smooth and well mixed. Pour in the pan and allow to set. Scrape the pan out and lick the spatula (after it cools for a moment).

Variations: 
Mocha Fudge: add 2 tbsp instant coffee crystals to the milk and stir until dissolved, cook as directed Vanilla Fudge: substitute white chocolate chips for the dark chocolate chips
Sea Salt Fudge: sprinkle Fleur de Sel crystals on top of the warm fudge and press down to embed the crystals. Don't add too much- you want just a hint of saltiness

3 comments:

Libby Dodd said...

Great story and tempting recipe. Thanks

Janet Rudolph said...

Just made this! Licked the bowl.. thanks, Kathy!

Sandee Barrowclough said...

I bookmarked this page so I can find this recipe when the Fudge Monster attacks!