Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

CHOCOLATE COVERED POMEGRANATE SEEDS: How to De-Seed a Pomegranate

It's National Pomegranate Month, and the Pomegranates are at the Farmers Market. I love their tart/sweet taste, and I've been putting them in my salad every day for the past month or so. If you're like me, when you were growing up, you had pomegranates once a year, mainly because of the time it took to de-seed them. There were various methods, but basically you picked each seed out, one by one. Because pomegranates have become a 'health' food, you can now buy just the seeds just about everywhere. But I love having the actual fruit around, and that's why I fell in love with the 'wooden stick method' of de-seeding pomegranates. Watch the video from NaturalMarketer below.

So what can you do with pomegranate seeds? Cover them with dark chocolate! Rich sweet dark chocolate goes very well with the tart pomegranate flavor, and the textures meld well. Chocolate Covered Pomegranate Seeds make a great Fall snack, and you'll enjoy the benefits of both sources of antioxidants. 

DARK CHOCOLATE COVERED POMEGRANATE SEEDS

Ingredients
Pomegranate Seeds
About 7 ounces (depending how many seeds you have) of good quality Dark Chocolate, chopped

Directions
1. Line cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
2. Melt dark chocolate in double boiler or saucepan on top of saucepan of simmering water. Stir to make surechocolate doesn't burn.
3. Add dry pomegranate seeds (so if they've been in the refrigerator make sure to dry them) to melted chocolate and fold gently with rubber spatula until seeds are thoroughly covered.
4. Spoon clusters of mixture onto wax or parchment paper.
5. Place wax or parchment papered cookie sheet in refrigerator and let chocolate covered seeds cool for several hours or overnight.
Keep refrigerated. Will last 3-4 days.

Check out this Awesome Video from NaturalMarketer on How To De-Seed a Pomegranate (without the bowl of water)! Once you watch this and follow his directions, you'll never go back!!! I'm hooked!


4 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Pomegranate Month, Janet!!! I've never has chocolate covered Pomegranate seeds before. Now I'm curious:)

Thanks for sharing...

Janet Rudolph said...

They're yummy.. and if you don't want to go to the bother, they sell them at Trader Joe's!

~~louise~~ said...

The DO! I've never seen them at my Trader Joe's. I WILL be looking for them! Thanks Janet:)

Suburban prep said...

I love love pomegranates. I will buy a few at a time and I will seed one and then another and I will put one of them in a tight bag in the freezer and when I am finished with the one that stays in the frig I have one all ready for me to start into.
I love these like candy even with out the chocolate but I can only imagine how wonderful they would be.