Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chocolate Mint Bars

Today I welcome back Bobbi Mumm, just in time for some fabulous holiday treats!

Bobbi Mumm is a mystery and thriller writer in Saskatoon, Canada where she works half-time as an event planner at the University of Saskatchewan. Married to a nuclear physicist, she has four children. A year ago, Bobbi completed her first novel, Cream with Your Coffin, and through her U.S. agent, is seeking a publishing home for the novel. Cream with Your Coffin was a quarter-finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. Almost finished her second novel, thriller De Rigueur Mortis, Bobbi spends much of her day immersed in 1954 Paris.

Bobbi Mumm: Chocolate Mint Bars

I tested this new recipe last week and my family gave it rave reviews. Because we’ll have lots of guests over the holidays I made two pans. Chocolate and mint are always a wonderful Christmas combination.

The bar is rich and one of those treats that is best served in small pieces. A true dainty. Thanks to my friend, Sarah Bird, for sharing her recipe. Sarah is a lawyer as well as an outstanding baker.

Thank you, Janet, for the opportunity to appear on Dying for Chocolate. I always enjoy visiting with your friends here. Question to everyone: What is your favourite flavour to pair with chocolate?

Sarah’s Chocolate Mint Bars

Base:
2 squares Baker's unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
½ c butter
½ c flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Filling:
1 c icing sugar
¼ c butter
1 TBSP milk
1½ tsp peppermint extract

Topping:
2 squares Baker's semisweet chocolate (I used 2 oz of semisweet choc chips)
2 TBSP butter

DIRECTIONS:
Base:
Melt unsweetened choc, sugar and butter in saucepan. Let cool slightly. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Spread in greased 13x9 pan. Bake at 350F for 20min. Cool completely.

Filling:
Beat icing sugar, butter and milk until smooth. Stir in peppermint. Spread onto cooled base.

Topping:
Melt choc and butter. Mix well. Cool slightly and then drizzle over filling.

Cut into squares.
Makes approx. 40-50 squares.

11 comments:

Eve Barbeau said...

They sound wonderful Bobbi, and you know what? I think I have all those ingredients. Okay, I will be baking after all today.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

For whatever reason I just canNOT get into the holiday baking mode this year. It's distressing because I really do enjoy trying new recipes (like this one) and eating them (of course).

Bobbi Mumm said...

Eve, that's the good thing about this recipe. Nothing very exotic. Except I did have to run out and buy a bottle of mint extract because I thought that a four-year-old bottle might have lost some of its bite. Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

Love the look of the chocolate drizzle on top!

Anonymous said...

The squares look wonderful, Bobbi. My favorite combination is chocolate and peanut butter.

Bobbi Mumm said...

Yummychunklet, thanks! Butter is melted along with the chocolate and that made it easy to drizzle. I was surprised that it still hardened nicely.

Bobbi Mumm said...

Pattie: That was me last year. This year I only did gingersnaps and these bars. I think the kids want to do sugar cookies this week, once they're done school. But it's okay to let it all go sometimes!

Bobbi Mumm said...

Anonymous: Thank you! Peanut butter and chocolate are one of my favourites, too. I have a wonderful recipe for a crispy, chewy bar but, unfortunately, I have a girl with a peanut allergy so I haven't made it in ten years.

Sheila said...

I'm definitely going to make these this week. Mmmm! Chocolate and peppermint is my favourite combo, but I also love dark chocolate and orange. Sometimes Santa brings a terry's choc orange in my stocking - here's hoping...

Bobbi Mumm said...

Sheila, I love Terry's Chocolate Oranges, too. Santa always brings me the milk chocolate. Two others in the family get the dark. Happy baking!

Tiffanee said...

Yum! I am loving your blog! Now following and off to check it out more!!