Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Chocolate Fritters: National Fritter Day

1930 Crisco Ad: Fritters with a Future
I'm a huge fan of fritters. Actually I'm happy with just about anything that's fried. Sometimes I think I should be Southern. I recently heard a chef on Chopped say, "I'm from Kentucky. If I don't know what an ingredient is, I fry it." Love that motto!

Today is National Fritter Day. According to Wikipedia, a fritter is"any kind of food coated in batter and deep fried. Although very similar to a doughnut it differs in the fact that it requires some base ingredient beyond the dough it is cooked with." Want to know more?  Read about Fritters from Renee Shelton at The Pastry Sampler.

Here's a very easy Chocolate Fritter Recipe from Brookelynne26 on Food.com. There are many chocolate fritter recipes out there, but I'm all about fast and easy. The quality of the fritters will change according to the chocolate you use. But you knew that, right?

Helpful Tip from Brookelynne26: "Make sure the chocolate pieces are completely covered with the dough so none of the chocolate leaks into the oil."

About oil. If you're not using oil all the time, be sure and check it before using it in this or any recipe. Some oils become rancid quickly, and you certainly don't want to spoil your delicious dish. My theory is to replace oil regularly if you're not using it. If it's not opened, it will last longer, but still be sure and check!

Happy Fritter Day! What kind are you making?

EASY CHOCOLATE FRITTERS

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup milk
fresh oil (for deep frying)
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/2 inch chunks and refrigerated
confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:
1 Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar together into mixing bowl. Add egg, butter, and milk, and mix until smooth.
2 Slowly heat 3 inches oil to 340°F.
3 Dip  chocolate into batter, coating each piece completely. Fry fritters, a few at a time in the hot oil until golden brown, about 1- 2 minutes. drain each batch on paper towles, then tranfer to a warm serving platter and dust with confectioner's sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fried! Fried is a food grouping!

The recipe is delicious.

I will send this to my wife and I know she will make me a batch and I will savor them one at a time with a nice tall glass of cold milk.

Thank you.