Chocolate Peppermint Pie with Peppermint Oreo Pie Crust
Peppermint Oreo Pie Crust
2 1/4 cups of crushed Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe Joe's (oreo-like with peppermint filling), finely ground
2 1/2 ounces of melted butter
1. Combine cookie crumbs with melted butter in a bowl
2. Pour mixture into 9 inch pie pan and press into the bottom and up the sides evenly
3. Smooth surface with the back of a spoon
4. Refrigerate pie crust for at least an hour
Chocolate Peppermint Pie Filling
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pasteurized egg product* (egg beaters or similar product to avoid the raw egg controversy)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup white chocolate chips or white chocolate bar, broken up-- melted and cooled
1/2 cup (20) peppermint candies, crushed
1/2 cup dark chocolate (45-65% cacao) broken up or 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1. In a bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese and sugar together.
2. Combine egg product and whipping cream, and gradually add to butter mixture while beating, scraping bowl often. Beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reserve half of mixture in a small bowl.
3. Add cooled white chocolate to remaining half of mixture; beat well. Stir in crushed candy. Spread in pie crust; chill 10 minutes.
4. Return reserved butter mixture to bowl, add cooled dark chocolate; beat well. Spread over white chocolate layer.
5. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.