Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

National Fudge Day: Philly Fudge

Today is National Fudge Day. I love fudge, and I've blogged lots of fudge recipes over the past year or so. I thought I'd do a round-up of some of those fudge recipes and add a new one.

Goldie's Fudge
Vanilla Macadamia Nut Fudge
Nigella's Chocolate Pistachio Fudge
Creamy Chocolate Fudge
Chocolate Coffee Fudge (Cooking with Trade Joe's) guest blog

Last Year's Post on National Fudge Day that includes a recipe for Foolproof Dark Chocolate Fudge.

I'm from Philly, and I grew up with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Here's a recipe for Philly Fudge: This recipe, an adaptation of the famous uncooked fudge recipe developed by Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese, became popular right after World War II. It's pretty foolproof.

Philly Fudge

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1- 8 ounce package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
2 tablespoons milk or cream
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

1. Butter an 8 inch baking pan well; set aside.
2. Melt chocolate in double boiler over hot, not boiling water.
3. Mix cream cheese and milk (or cream), beating on high speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat at low speed until creamy.
4. Blend in melted chocolate, vanilla, and salt. Beat until smooth. Stir in pecans or walnuts, but not both.
5. Press mixture into pan, cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight or until firm. Cut into 1 1/4-inch squares.

15 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Oh goodie, National Fudge Day and bunches of fudge recipes.

I'm gonna have to tweet this:)

Thanks for sharing, Janet...

Anonymous said...

Here is the Fourth of July trifecta, a Philly Cheesesteak, Philly Fudge and cool glass of Philadelphia Brewing Company's Rowhouse Red.

Janet Rudolph said...

Anonymous: A true Philly Phan!!!

Cleo Coyle said...

Oh, fudge! Good stuff to eat and such a useful word for cursing in polite company. :)

Vannie Ryanes said...

I don't like candy, so why this two day craving for fudge? So desperate, I thought of buying a can of chocolate cake frosting. (blush)

Nic said...

Only you guys could invent a National Fudge Day - I love it!

Janet Rudolph said...

Vannie, clearly you were getting ready for the holiday. Chocolate frosting works in a pinch. :-)

Janet Rudolph said...

Cleo, yes, the word has a double meaning..both excellent.

Janet Rudolph said...

Nicisme, I didn't invent Nat'l Fudge Day, but I sure know how to celebrate it!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

wow.....that fudge looks deadly...I want some!!!!! I'm just across the bridge can you send me some on the high speed line!!

Janet Rudolph said...

Probably faster and safer to make it yourself. :-) Easier, too!

Mandy Smith said...

Great article. I love reading your blog

Check out these great recipes:

http://creek-corner.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, Mandy

H. Kids said...

Very superior blog tells about the Chocolate News, Reviews and various Recipes. I like it so much.

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks