Monday, June 14, 2010
National Strawberry Shortcake: Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
I like all kinds of Strawberry Shortcake--made with lady fingers, with biscuits, with cake... doesn't matter to me. Now, if you really want to get more adventurous, you've got to try Annmarie Kostyk's recipe for Double Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake. OMG!!! Can't wait to make that one!
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
This recipe for Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake is originally from Stephanie Gallagher's recipe on About.com. It's part of the KidsCooking series, so you know it's easy! This is quick and simple, and you could use the same recipe with cherries or almost any summer fruit, but today being National Strawberry Shortcake Day, use strawberries. I love this recipe because I love biscuits...and chocolate biscuits...well, how can you go wrong?
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4 Tbsp. cold sweet butter, cut into chunks
1 large egg
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar (original recipe calls for powdered, but I like granulated sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream.
5. Pour cream mixture into the flour mixture, and mix with a fork until the dough just comes together. It will be sticky.
6. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
7. With an ice cream scoop, drop dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Flatten with your fingers to about 3/4-inch thick. (this is a great tip for making biscuits)!
8. Bake 12-15 minutes. Let cool.
9. Meanwhile, stir together strawberries and sugar.
10. To make Strawberry Shortcakes, place chocolate biscuit, flat side up on a plate. Top with strawberries and whipped cream--or cut the biscuit in half and put strawberries and whipped cream on bottom half and add the top!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I just knew you would come up with something fabulous for Strawberry Shortcake Day! And boy did you!!!
I'll be checking out that other link too!!!
Thanks for sharing, Janet.
I really couldn't let the day go by.. be sure and check out Annmarie's recipe. It's TDF!
This time, I will try this on my own. And I'm sure I can do this...wew!
There's a national day for this! In Japan, where I lived for a long while, strawberry shortcake is so popular - it even stands in as Christmas cake instead of the usual fruitcakes we have in the west. Love your chocolate twist!
Post a Comment