Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2018

DEVIL'S FOOD CHOCOLATE CAKE: Guest post by Carolyn Tillery

I was perusing Facebook the other day and came across a fabulous photo of Devil's Food Chocolate Cake on my friend Carolyn Tillery's profile page! Carolyn Tillery is definitely the hostess with the mostess. Her cakes are legendary, her china and pottery fabulous, and personally she's a delight. I had to ask her for the recipe. I especially love that this cake has 3 layers.. Makes it so much more interesting! And, did I mention that Carolyn is the author of the Galveston Island and The Captain Maggie Hayes Mysteries? She's also Vice-Chair of Bouchercon 2019 in Dallas, TX. I love when my mystery and chocolate worlds collide.

Carolyn Tillery:
Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake 

I’m one of those bakers who measures everything out ahead of time. I really enjoy the process of baking, so filling all those little bowls with carefully measured ingredients makes me happy. I found this chocolate cake recipe–torn from a magazine–among my thick file of them, and was delighted with the results. The cake is extremely moist and rich. I recommend it be served with vanilla ice cream.

For the Cake 
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup baking cocoa 3 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream
1 1/3 cups boiling water

For the Frosting
½ cup butter, cubed
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
5 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup (8oz) sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease and flour (I use Baker’s Joy) three 9-inch round baking pans.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Carefully mix in water until blended.
3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
4. For frosting, in a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
5. In a large bowl, combine confections’ sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments: