Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Double Chocolate Olive Oil Brownies

Olive Oil is a great substitute for butter or vegetable oil in your brownies. If you planned to use vegetable oil anyway, olive oil won't change the texture of the brownies. And, if you use a fresh fruity olive oil, you'll be able to taste the olive oil which is a great complement to the chocolate in the brownies. Olive oil also gives the brownies a bit of a peppery note. If you want to be close to the taste of classic brownies, use a mild olive oil. Please, please, don't use the olive oil that's been sitting in your pantry for three months and that might be rancid.  

Olive oil might be healthier than butter, but don't kid yourself. There's a lot of chocolate and sugar in  these brownies, so don't substitute olive oil for health reasons. One more thing, I add fleur de sel to the finish these brownies because I love salt and chocolate! It's optional, as would be adding chocolate chips to the batter (just a thought) for Triple Chocolate Olive Oil Brownies. And, as always, use the very best ingredients.

Double Chocolate Olive Oil Brownies

Ingredients 
3/4 cup mild or fruity olive oil, plus more for oiling the pan
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
fleur de sel

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving 2-inch overhang on   2 sides. Oil foil (don't include overhang).
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt in medium bowl. Melt chocolate with oil in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently. Let cool slightly. Stir in sugar and eggs. Add flour mixture, and stir to combine.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle fleur de sel evenly on top of batter. (not too much)
Bake until toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs -- 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool brownies completely in pan on cooling rack. Use foil overhang to help lift them out of pan. Cut into squares.

3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I've been using olive oil, avocado oil and walnut oil in many of my adjustments these days, Janet. Haven't "flopped" yet, lol..Walnut oil in pancake batter is amazing!!!

I'm really liking these brownies especially since I've been trying to find just the right "spot" to add a dash of the truffle salt my son brought back from Rome. You've just inspired me to give it a try on brownies! I'll have to wait until Marion is in the mood though. If I made these brownies with an egg substitute I may just eat them all!!!

Thanks for sharing, Janet...

Janet Rudolph said...

Oh.. truffle oil will have a very strong taste... but let me know what you think! and what Marion thinks. Walnut Oil brownies--now I have to try that!!!

~~louise~~ said...

I Think you're right Janet. I tried the truffle salt on a quick salad I made and I think the pronounced flavor eitll be too much for the chocolate. Oh well, back to the drawing board:) You MUST try the walnut oil with brownies or any other chocolate tidbit. Yummy!