Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

BISSINGER'S CHOCOLATE-COVERED POINT REYES ORIGINAL BLUE CHEESE WINE GRAPE

I attended the Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco this week, and needless to say there was a lot of chocolate. I'll be blogging about different chocolate products in the days to come, but I thought I'd mention one product that stood out for me: Bissinger's Chocolate-Covered Point Reyes Original Blue Cheese Wine Grape. It is a great combination of sweet and savory. I'm a sucker for chocolate and cheese, and local Point Reyes Original Blue is one of my favorite blues. Add a wine grape to that, and I'm in heaven. This product isn't available yet, but look for it in the next few months at Whole Foods, Neiman Marcus, smaller high end specialty shops and markets, and on the Bissinger's website.

Over two years in the making, this confection evolved as a natural progression from Bissinger’s original Chocolate-Covered Wine Grape. Plump Muscat grapes are infused with Shiraz, then incorporated with a delicate layer of Point Reyes Original Blue and finally covered in Bissinger's signature 60% European-style Chocolate.  Heaven!

Chief Chocolatier, Dave Owens, says, “At first bite you taste the rich chocolate, then the sweet depth of fruit rushes forward, and finally the creamy blue cheese carries it through to the savory side.” Bissinger’s began discussions with Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company about the idea several years ago. “The Original Blue was the only cheese we wanted for this project,” Owens said. “It is a true stand out in the industry.”

Point Reyes has a long tradition of crafting artisanal creations. “It has been a pleasure working with a company that shares our same passion and commitment to quality,” said Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company Manager Partner-Owner, Lynn Giacomini Stray. “We strive to craft innovative confections and are grateful to be carrying on the legacy that was started by the Bissinger family in Paris centuries ago, said Kellerhals. “Bissinger’s remains committed to the high standards, heritage and the passionate attention to detail that goes into every piece we craft.”

It certainly shows in this wonderful wine/cheese/chocolate pairing. I'd love to have a bowl of them by my desk right now!

3 comments:

Daryl Wood Gerber a.k.a. Avery Aames said...

Wow, really? Blue cheese with chocolate in candy form? Oh, Point Reyes, wow! Say cheese indeed.

Avery
AveryAames.com

Janet Rudolph said...

Avery, you're going to love these....

nvragain said...

Hi!
I'm a journalist based in Bath and I'm starting my own food magazine as part of my university course. The first issue of the magazine is going to be all about chocolate.

At the back of it I want to feature four chocolate blogs - yours included. I just want to ask your permission to use your blog's trademark as part of the article.

Thanks
Addy :) (new-prime@hotmail.com)