Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Peppermint Patty Ice Cream Sandwiches


I love ice-cream sandwiches, and I couldn't get over how much those Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies I wrote about yesterday looked like an Ice-Cream sandwich, so I thought I'd try making one. Here are a few variations based on my original ice-cream sandwich recipe.

Peppermint Patty Ice Cream Sandwiches

For the holidays and to continue the Chocolate Peppermint theme, take 6 big Chocolate Chunky Cookies (Pepperidge Farm Brownie is what I use, but any big firm chocolate cookie will work).
Lay out 6 cookies, flat side up.
Scoop slightly softened peppermint ice-cream onto the cookies.
Using a butter knife spread the ice cream to the edge.
Cover with another cookie, flat side down.
Spread smashed pieces of candy canes on a plate.
Roll the sides of the sandwich in the candy cane pieces until covered.
Wrap each sandwich and freeze.

Peppermint ice cream seems to be seasonal these days. When I grew up it was a year-round flavor. On long turnpike trips, my family would stop at the Howard Johnson's, and I would order Peppermint Ice Cream. It was the reward, I guess, for not fighting with my sister. Peppermint was my favorite. I know, a big surprise for a chocoholic. Maybe I developed the love of chocolate later?

For the ice-cream in the ice-cream sandwiches, Haagen-Dazs has a Peppermint Bark Ice Cream that's a rich white chocolate ice cream blended with crunchy dark and white chocolate peppermint bark and peppermint candy pieces. It's fabulous! Available September through December, so get some in the freezer now.

Baskin-Robbins has Peppermint as a flavor of the month. Peppermint Ice Cream with pieces of pink peppermint candy.

Dreyer's has a silky cool Peppermint ice cream mixed with pieces of peppermint candy. I think Edy's is the name of the same brand in other areas of the U.S.

Ben & Jerry's used to have Peppermint Schtick. It's a retired flavor, but you can always send them an email and ask for its return.

Check out your favorite local ice cream shop for Peppermint ice-cream. I bet they'll have some yummy ones. It's the season. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Oh, yummy! I have peppermint ice cream in the freezer right now. I must buy some chocolate cookies.

Janet Rudolph said...

I like big chocolate chunk Pepperidge Farm cookies...