|Photo: Madeleine Butler|
Winter, summer, spring, or fall, nothing says “comfort” like the melding of sweet, softened marshmallow with the crackle of rice cereal formed into large, chewy bars. This childhood treat is even better when it grows up to include bittersweet chocolate, both mixed into the marshmallow and drizzled over the top.
Dark Chocolate Crispy Rice Bars
12 Tbsp butter, plus more for the pan
2 bags (10 oz) mini marshmallows
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
6 oz bittersweet chocolate (divided)
10 cups crisp rice cereal
1. Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan. Line the pan with a long piece of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the short sides. Butter the paper.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the butter, marshmallows, and cocoa. Melt this mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently. When it is smooth and fully blended, add 2 ounces of the bittersweet chocolate, broken in pieces. Stir until the chocolate is melted and fully incorporated. Stir in the rice cereal.
3. Press the rice mixture into the prepared pan. Melt the remaining 4 ounces of chocolate over low heat in a double boiler, or use a microwave. Drizzle over the rice mixture and even out gaps with a spatula as needed. (The intent is for the coating to be uneven, not smooth like icing).
4. Let cool until the drizzled chocolate has firmed up. Cut into bars.
5. To store, keep in an airtight container at room temperature