Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Aunt Vera's Chocolate Oatmeal Pie: Sara Sue Hoklotubbe

As I've mentioned before, my mystery and chocolate worlds often collide. Mystery Writer Sara Sue Hoklotubbe's latest novel, The American Cafe, mentions Oatmeal Pie on pages 64-65, so I contacted her about the recipe.  Here's an original recipe from Sara's late aunt, Vera Youngblood Robertson. Sara modified the recipe a bit to fit with the chocolate theme, and it’s delicious (in fact, Sara and her husband, Eddie, just emailed to say that they had practically eaten a whole pie this afternoon!)



Aunt Vera’s (Chocolate) Oatmeal Pie

Ingredients
2 eggs
3/4 c. red syrup (her aunt's term for pancake or waffle syrup)
1/2 c. coconut (flaked or shredded)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Mix ingredients together and pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Let cool before serving. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sara Hoklotubbe said...

Thanks for sharing the word about my new mystery, THE AMERICAN CAFE, and my Aunt Vera's Oatmeal Pie recipe. Being a chocoholic myself, adding the mini chocolate chips made it a winner for me and my husband. It is so easy to mix up and bake.

Mary MS said...

It sounds totally fabulous; will definitely try it. Deception on All Accounts has a lot going for it so I am very much looking forward to reading An American Cafe in the not too distant future.

Sofie said...

so delish!