Thursday, May 13, 2010
National Apple Pie Day: Chocolate Apple Pie
CHOCOLATE APPLE PIE
Pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie, unbaked (either plain or chocolate)
6-8 tart medium sized apples (peeled, cored and sliced thinly)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup 70% dark chocolate fair-trade organic, broken into smallish pieces
1. Apples: peel, core, and slice thinly.
2. Combine the cinnamon & sugar = cinnamon sugar. (you may need a tiny bit more).
2. Place 1 layer of apple slices on the bottom crust. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar. Repeat twice.
3 Spread broken chocolate pieces over top.
4. Using remaining apples, make 3 more apple/cinnamon sugar layers.
5. Top with 2nd crust and seal edges. Make a cut on the top--or prick with fork in a few places.
6. Bake in preheated 450 F oven for 15 minutes (until golden).
7. Lower heat to 350F and continue baking for another 25-30 minutes, or until apples are tender.
Want to make a Chocolate Apple Pie that takes a bit more time bit is absolutely outrageous? Try this recipe for Chocolate Apple Pie from KayoticKitchen. This recipe has a chocolate pie crust plus delicious chocolate apple filling! And, not too Sweet! Wonderful step by step photos!