Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

White Chocolate Cheesecake Day: Celebrate

Today is White Chocolate Cheesecake Day, and I just got a new cheesecake spring pan at the Oakland Museum White Elephant sale. Perfect!

Here's an easy recipe I adapted from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. I changed the original graham cracker crust to a Chocolate Cookie Crust (see below).. much better, I think, but then I like chocolate.

Ingredients for Filling:

1 cup broken white chocolate (make sure it's good white chocolate that's made with cocoa butter)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 egg yolks
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream

1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease bottom and side of springform pan, 8x3 inches; remove bottom.
2. Prepare Chocolate Cookie Crust (see below). Baking 6-8 minutes and cooling.
3. Place white chopped chocolate in top of double boiler (or a saucepan on top of another saucepan with simmering water). Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until white chocolate is melted. Remove from saucepan.
4. Increase oven temperature to 475ºF.
5. Beat melted white chocolate, 3/4 cup sugar and the flour in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in cream cheese and egg yolks until smooth. Continue beating, adding the eggs one at a time, then the sour cream until blended. Pour batter carefully into crust. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
6. Bake 20 minutes; remove foil. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. Bake 1 hour. (If cheesecake browns too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil during last 30 minutes of baking.)
7. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Run metal spatula along side of cheesecake to loosen before and after refrigerating. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 8 hours, but no longer than 5 days. Run metal spatula along side of cheesecake to loosen; remove side of pan. Place cheesecake on serving plate. Refrigerate if you plan to serve later.

I like my cheesecake unadorned, but you can always add fruit or chocolate sauce. 

Chocolate Cookie Crust:

Ingredients
30 chocolate wafers (to yield about 1 1/2 cups crumbs)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
1. Put the cookies in the container of a food processor; process them until they are finely ground.
2. Transfer crumbs to a mixing bowl; combine crumbs, butter, salt, and vanilla; stir until the crumbs are moistened.
3. Press mixture evenly across the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and all the way up the sides of the pan; pack tightly so crust is even and compacted.
4. Bake in a 350° oven for 6-8 minutes or until crisp.
5. Let cool completely before filling.

4 comments:

corinne said...

I love cheesecake and I love white chocolate! I have to make this. It is just what I need after a week of midterms in college. Mmm I can't wait! I would put fresh cut strawberries on top and whipped cream!!!

Corinne said...

I love cheesecake and I love white chocolate! I have to make this! This is just what I need after a week of midterms in college! I would put strawberries and whipped cream on top. Mmm I'm so excited!

The Martini Diva said...

I loved this recipe, especially the change to the chocolate crust. I just shared a link to it with my readers over at The Martini Diva Blog on my White Chocolate Cheesecake Martini post!

BTW, today's National White Chocolate Cheesecake Day (March 6th) so we can enjoy our cheesecake and a martini too!

Janet Rudolph said...

Absolutely, and I look forward to more martini posts!