Wednesday, October 21, 2009
National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day: Add Chocolate
I love all these food holidays. October 21 is National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day: Add Chocolate...I love pumpkin and chocolate... and cheesecake is my thing, so here's an easy recipe for a Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake! Celebrate. Great for Halloween and Thanksgiving!
The filling for this pumpkin cheesecake is from Hershey's Kitchens. I like this one, though because it has a Chocolate Cookie Crust, but I've also posted another simple crust recipe using chocolate wafers!
CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST
3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup canned pumpkin
1-1/2 cups HERSHEY'S Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1. Prepare CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST. Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
2. Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl until well blended. Add pumpkin and eggs; beat until well blended. Stir in small chocolate chips; pour batter into prepared crust. Bake 10 minutes.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 250°F; continue baking 60 minutes or until almost set. Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, loosen cake from side of pan. Cool completely; remove side of pan. Refrigerate about 5 hours before serving. Cover; refrigerate leftover cheesecake. 10 to 12 servings.
CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST: Heat oven to 350°F. Stir together 1 cup vanilla wafer crumbs (about 30 wafers), 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa, 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter or margarine in medium bowl. Press mixture firmly onto bottom and 1/2-inch up side of 9-inch springform pan. Bake 8 minutes; cool slightly.
You can always make a chocolate cookie crust with chocolate wafers. I think that's what I'd do... Here's an easy recipe for
Chocolate Cookie Crust:
30 chocolate wafers (Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers, to yield about 1 1/2 cups crumbs)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Put the cookies in the container of a food processor; process them until they are finely ground.
2. Transfer crumbs to a mixing bowl; combine crumbs, butter, salt, and vanilla; stir until the crumbs are moistened.
3. Press mixture evenly across the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and all the way up the sides of the pan; pack tightly so crust is even and compacted.
4. Bake in a 350° oven for 6-8 minutes or until crisp.
5. Let cool completely before filling.