Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

National Rice Pudding Day: Make it Chocolate

O.K. I must admit that I have never had chocolate rice pudding, but being that it's National Rice Pudding Day, I thought I'd investigate. Rice pudding is the ultimate comfort food for me, as is chocolate, so the marriage of the two is certainly inviting.

I found an EASY recipe on AllRecipes, but I've doctored it a bit based on my 'regular' rice pudding recipe. I omitted raisins, added almost a cup of chocolate chips (or broken chocolate bits) and substituted cream for 1/2 the milk in the original AllRecipes version. So I know what I'm having later today.

CHOCOLATE RICE PUDDING

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup uncooked white rice
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup cream (or half and half)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)

DIRECTIONS
1. In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, butter and cocoa. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and stir until melted.

Spoon into serving bowls and refrigerate for several hours.

Not too sure about when to add the chocolate chips, but at the end seems to make sense. You can also vary this recipe using different types of rice, adding some orange liqueur or zest. Lots of possibilities.

Have a great National Rice Pudding Day!

No comments: