Today's my Birthday, and I just had to post this decadent recipe from See's Candies! I love See's, not only because it's a local company, but because See's really makes fabulous candy. One of the main ingredients in their chocolate candies is Guittard Chocolate, another local company. I'm on See's email list, and See's sent me a birthday email this month for Scotchmallow & Bordeaux Decadent Chocolate Cake. OMG.. This is one rich and outstanding Birthday Cake.
Here's the recipe and See's photo! I know what chocolate cake I'm making for my birthday!
Scotchmallow® & Bordeaux™ Decadent Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 Cake (8–10 Servings)
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 2 ¼ cups white sugar
• 4 eggs (room temperature)
• 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 lb See's Custom Mix filled with
See's Dark Scotchmallows/Milk Bordeaux™ (1/2 pound of each)
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
• 8 oz See’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Cake Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease three 4–6 in. round cake pans. Line with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in room temperature
eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla.
4. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture into prepared pans. Spread batter
evenly between them.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 18-24 minutes. Allow cake to cool in pans for 10 minutes.
6. Remove onto cooling rack until it reaches room temperature.
Chocolate Ganache Instructions
1. Bring heavy cream to a simmer on the stove top, stirring occasionally. Just as soon as you
see a simmer, remove from heat and poor over chocolate chips, swirling the bowl to make sure
all chips are covered.
2. Place lid on chocolate chips to trap the heat and let sit undisturbed (no mixing) for 5
3. Remove lid and swirl the chocolate chips with a whisk starting in the center and working
outward until smooth.
4. Let ganache come to room temperature. The longer ganache sits, the thicker and more of a
frosting it becomes.
1. Assemble cooled cake with a thin layer of chocolate ganache between each layer and 2
chopped Dark Scotchmallows®/Milk Bordeaux™ pieces (or as many as you’d like).
2. Apply a thin “naked” frosting coat over entire assembled cake. (Optional: Slightly heat the
cooled ganache in 10-second intervals at half power in a microwave. A slightly warmed ganache
makes for a smooth frosting finish.)
3. Use whole, halved and quartered candy pieces to embellish top of cake. Candies can be
stacked on wooden bamboo skewers and placed into cake for added height and drama.