Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chocolate Persimmon Bread Pudding

The other day I saw these beautiful persimmons at the Farmers' Market, and it got me thinking. I don't think I've ever posted a Chocolate Persimmon recipe. I love persimmons. My favorites are Fuyu Persimmons.

Because I love Persimmon Bread Pudding, I thought I'd post this delicious and easy recipe adapted from Whole Foods for Chocolate Persimmon Bread Pudding. It's the perfect Autumn dessert!  Be sure to use Fuyu Persimmons (not Hachiya).

CHOCOLATE PERSIMMON BREAD PUDDING

Ingredients
4 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened DARK cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 Tbsp Madagascar vanilla extract
1 loaf challah, cut into 1-inch cubes (this also works well with a Brioche loaf)
1 cup chocolate chips (or a cup of chocolate chunks--65-70% cacao)
2 ripe fuyu persimmons, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine half-and-half with sugar, cocoa powder, eggs and vanilla in large mixing bowl, whisking until smooth.
Add challah, toss to coat and set aside to let soak for 15 minutes.
Pour two-thirds of challah mixture into buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks) and all of the persimmons.
Top with remaining challah mixture and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips (chunks).
Place dish into water bath (large roasting pan and add hot water to the roasting pan until it reaches about 1 inch up the sides of the dish).
Bake for 40 minutes, then set aside to let cool, leaving dish in water bath.
Once cool, remove dish from water bath then cut pudding into squares and serve.

1 comment:

yummychunklet said...

Sounds like a delicious bread pudding!