Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries for California Strawberry Day

Tomorrow is California Strawberry Day, and it's a great way to celebrate the start of Spring. I love strawberries, and they go so well with chocolate. I've posted lots of strawberry recipes, but here's an old favorite: Chocolate Dipped Strawberries. So easy. Want to get fancier? You can always stuff strawberries with chocolate cream, marscapone, chocolate chip cookie dough, cheesecake or tiramasu before dipping--and you can drizzle some white chocolate over the finished dipped strawberries.

The Chef pictured in the photo is by Sonoma artist Cynthia Hipkiss. I love her oddball humor, and I have several of her sculptures. I love this Chef, in particular, and he holds a coveted space by my stove (the blue O'Keefe Merritt), and I've had him forever. What's particularly fun about him is what he's holding can be changed. I have a strawberry shortcake, a birthday cake, and a plate of hot dogs with all the trimmings.  The smaller food sculptures are attached with velcro. Very clever! Hipkiss Gallery is located in Sonoma, CA, and her work is carried in several art galleries. Many of her sculptures of women remind me of my aunts from whom I learned many baking tips. Luckily I'm not quite as full-bodied as they were, but then they were great bakers and ate a lot of what they baked!

CHOCOLATE DIPPED STRAWBERRIES

Ingredients
1 quart fresh large fresh strawberries, with tops
1 cup Dark Chocolate 60-65% cacao, broken or chopped
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate 72-85% cacao, broken or chopped
3 Tbsp. heavy cream

Directions
Rinse strawberries and dry thoroughly, keeping tops on. In top of double boiler or a stainless
steel bowl on top of a pot of simmering water, combine chocolate and heavy cream. Stir until
chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Dip strawberries 1/2 to 3/4 way up in chocolate mixture and place on parchment-
lined cookie sheet to allow chocolate to harden.

Hints:
Wash strawberries and pat dry with paper towels; set aside. Make sure strawberries are
completely dry. A drop of water in melted chocolate can cause it to "seize" and turn the
entire mixture into a mess.
How to Fix Seized Chocolate

How to dip:
Grasp stem of strawberry and dip into chocolate, swirling to partially cover with chocolate.
Give the strawberry a small shake as you pull it out of chocolate. When strawberry is
completely out of chocolate, swirl it in quick, clockwise motion to let excess chocolate drip off.
Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Repeat with rest of strawberries.

4 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Ooh, chocolate-dipped strawberries. How yummy!

Spencer said...

Now that is my kind of day!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm a fiend for chocolate dipped strawberries. I somehow fool myself that they're healthy! ;)

Saroj said...

This sounds yummy posted and shared on my blog and facebook page, thanks for sharing! I have never made the jar deserts but will give this one a go!


Ice cream desserts