Key Lime Pie with a Chocolate Macaroon Crust. Well, a Macaroon Pie Crust goes great with Chocolate filling! You can use an almond pie crust that you've used in lots of other recipes.
Here's an easy Kosher for Passover Chocolate Truffle Pie with Macaroon Crust. As I mentioned yesterday, you can make your own crust or buy a Manischewitz Macaroon Pie Crust (either plain or chocolate). You might want to make your own chocolate macaroon pie crust. Either use chocolate macaroons and prepare as in yesterday's recipe or try the following recipe. You can make this pie anytime. It's not just for Passover. Be ecumenical and take it to Easter Dinner. You won't have to take anything home except your pie plate!
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE PIE WITH MACAROON CRUST
This recipe is adapted from allrecipes.com
2 cups chopped pecans
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup sweet butter, melted
1/2 cup miniature dark chocolate chocolate chips
1-1/3 cups dark chocolate, broken
1/2 cup sweet butter, at room temperature
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dark chocolate, 65-75% cacao, fair trade.. (Earth Day is coming up)
1 tablespoon amaretto
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
2. In medium bowl, mix together pecans, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and miniature chocolate chips. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
3. In metal bowl over simmering water (or in a double boiler), combine 1-1/3 cups dark chocolate and 1/2 cup sweet butter, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. In separate bowl, beat egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar until thick and pale using electric mixer, at least 3 minutes. Stir into the melted chocolate and set back over the pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until thick, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour into cooled crust and smooth the top.
5. Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan. When warm, stir in the remaining chocolate until melted. Remove from heat and stir in amaretto. Pour over truffle filling. Refrigerate for several hours to set before serving. Be sure and take out of refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving.