Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ghirardelli Gluten-Free Brownies

I've often mentioned that product websites are great places to find terrific recipes.  Ghirardelli Chocolate just introduced Gluten-Free Ghirardelli Chocolate Recipes starting with a fabulous recipe for Gluten-Free Brownies. Only thing I'd add to this recipe would be more chocolate chips  (or chopped chocolate chunks) when you add the walnuts or pecans, but then I'm big on extra chocolate. There's also a great recipe for a Gluten-Free Walnut Torte, and I'm sure there will be more gluten-free recipes in the future.

GHIRARDELLI GLUTEN-FREE BROWNIES

1 cup 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup whole almonds (or 2/3 cup almond flour)
1/3 cup brown rice flour
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325°F with a rack in the lower third of the oven. Line the pan across the bottom and up two sides with parchment paper. If using whole almonds, add them to a food processor with the rice flour and pulse until nuts are finely ground. If using almond flour, mix it with the rice flour. Set aside. Place the chocolate, butter and salt in the top of a large double boiler over barely simmering water. Stir frequently until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar and vanilla. Stir in the eggs one at a time. Add the almond and rice flour mixture and stir until moistened, and then mix briskly, about 40 strokes. Stir in the walnuts or pecans if using. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the brownies are slightly puffed all over and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist but clean.

Cool the pan on a rack. Run a knife along the unlined sides of the pan to detach the brownies. Lift the edges of the parchment paper to remove the brownies. Cut into squares

You can substitute Ghirardelli Bittersweet 60% Chocolate Chips with 1-1/2 bar of Ghirardelli Bittersweet 60% chocolate, broken into small pieces.

Photo: Ghirardelli Chocolate

12 comments:

Maddie said...

Wow these brownies look amazing! And I love your whole blog! Please check out my blog: http://sweeetcooker.blogspot.com/
I was also wondering if you wouldn't mind mentioning me on your blog? If you want I could mention you on my blog as well. It would me a lot to me because I don't have many followers or supporters.
Thank you, Maddie

Anonymous said...

9x9 pan or 9x13?

Anonymous said...

Well I tried this last night and I can't have eggs so I used egg replacer....it did not work out at all. They turned out flat and horrible. I will continue my quest for gluten free brownies that are egg free.

heathersue said...

To the anonymous egg replacer person: try using ground flax seed mixed with hot water and let it sit for about 5 minutes to use as egg replacer. You could try adding a bit of baking soda also to give it a bit of a lift. I haven't tried this yet, but you could play around with it.

Anonymous said...

I made these tonight and they were absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe, it's a keeper!

Anonymous said...

Original Recipe says to use an 8x8 pan

Janet Rudolph said...

thanks..and an 8 x 8 pan works well.. I have used a 9 x 9, too!

Unknown said...

I don't have any rice flour. Is there something else I can use in place of it? These look so good.

Janet Rudolph said...

I haven't tried any other flour.. you could always try almond flour, but I can't predict the results..or taste.. Let me know, if you do.

Anonymous said...

So once I added some baking powder to these they were really good :)

Anonymous said...

I made these tonight. They are a good tasting brownie. I messed up the texture however...PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE: as a newbie to GF baking I was cheap and tried to make my own brown rice flour (for the very first time). My brownies taste good and are very moist but Very Gritty. My almond flour was also a bit rough. Please sift your flour and re grind if necessary if you make your own. I'm really hoping the moisture softens the rice bits in my brownies by tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this awesome recipe. I put brown rice into my vitamix(worth every penny) and made my brown rice flour. I used 1/3 c brown rice flour, 1 tablespoon of coconut flour and 1 tablespoons of walnuts for the flour. I added 1/4 tsp baking powder. Delicious! Fed a keeper recipe