I was thinking about Chocolate for Memorial Day and found a few recipes and ideas that are unique, tasty and chocolate-y.
Planning on grilling? Watch this YouTube for Grilled Chocolate Coffee Steak on Blisstree.com. I haven't tried it myself, but looks and sounds perfect for the holiday. Have to admire a main dish with all the best food groups!
I was going to suggest a patriotic cupcake using your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe and frosting with cream cheese icing and red, white and blue sprinkles. But then I saw this recipe that certainly takes it several steps further. Cupcake Project has a recipe for All American BBQ Cupcakes: Smokey Chocolate Cupcakes with Sweet Corn Cream Cheese Frosting. How American is that? The secret ingredient is liquid smoke. And that corn frosting.. all I can say is Wow!!!
O.K. maybe you're more traditional, but still want to make something patriotic and easy, try this Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake recipe from Cooking for Kids on About.com. Strawberry ShortCake is almost as American as Apple Pie and chocolate just improves on it! Strawberries are in season right now in Northern California, and the Farmers' Market has some delicious ones.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Scharffen Berger)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into chunks
1 large egg
2/3 cup half and half or heavy cream
1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup powdered sugar
* whipped cream or thawed frozen whipped topping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. With a pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter until crumbly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream.
5. Pour cream mixture into the flour mixture, and mix with a fork until the dough just comes together. It will be sticky.
6. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
7. With an ice cream scoop, drop dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Flatten with your fingers to about 3/4-inch thick.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, stir together strawberries and powdered sugar.
10. To make shortcakes, place on chocolate biscuit, flat side up on a plate. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.
And, although I tend to favor artisan chocolate, I do love See's Candy. You can always run out to your local See's (too late to order online if there's no See's near you) and buy Chocolate Stars. They're perfect for the holiday. They come in Red, Silver and Blue, six Milk and six Dark solid chocolates. Throw them across the picnic table. See how long they last.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day aka Decoration Day. Not meaning to be unpatriotic, but you can always 'decorate' your cakes and cupcakes with flags or poppies for the holiday!