Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

May 9: Butterscotch Brownie Day: add the Scotch

May 9 is yet another esoteric Chocolate Holiday. Let's face it, everyday is a chocolate day, and we really don't need a holiday to eat chocolate . Anyway, May 9 is Butterscotch Brownie Day. However, butterscotch brownies do not include chocolate.
So instead or a recipe for Butterscotch Brownies (although I really do like them), I thought I'd do a brownie recipe with Scotch in it. Makes more sense to me. DrinkoftheWeek.com had a great recipe for Whiskey Brownies. Perfect timing. I've done bourbon brownies, and I've done another recipe for St.Patrick's Day Irish Whiskey brownies, but these brownies should be made with Scotch for Butterscotch Brownie Day. Hey, there's butter in the recipe!
This recipe, of course, can be made without the Scotch — but why would you want to?
I've adapted the recipe a bit.
Butter "Scotch" Brownies
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 tbs. water
2 eggs
1 (6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (or the best chocolate you can find)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup Scotch (yeah, it's pretty boozy!)
The recipe at Drink of the Week had a nice looking chocolate icing, but I think we might as well go all the way with the "Scotch" Brownie theme, so here's an icing with Scotch.
Scotch infused Icing
1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons half-and-half
1 tablespoon good Scotch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions: In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate with the butter. Combine rest of ingredients in a bowl and with electric mixer, beat in melted chocolate and butter. Beat until smooth. Mixture will be runny, but will stiffen as it cools. Frost the cooled brownies.

How's that for a Butter Scotch Brownie?

1 comment:

Anna said...

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the comment on Cookie Madness. I would LOVE for you to make the red wine brownies. Let me know what you think. Also, I saw your Scotch brownies yesterday and want to give them a try. I love the smell of Scotch but don't care for drinking it straight. I think I could take it in brownie form, though.