Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

Chocolate Chocolate Crepes for Mother's Day

So Mother's day is Sunday, and there are so many chocolates and truffles to buy. I'll do a run-down tomorrow, but I thought today, I'd mention one of my favorite breakfast (or dinner) recipes.

Williams Sonoma has a recipe for Dark Chocolate Crepes that is easy and delicious. I'm definitely not the only one who thinks so, because I found great photos and comments for Dark Chocolate Crepes on DelightfulDelicacies.


2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 1/2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 oz. dark chocolate, melted (I use Scharffen Berger, but I've been experimenting with others)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa (high quality chocolate)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt the butter and chocolate together, mixing to combine and smooth out the chocolate. In a large bowl combine the milk and eggs. In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

Whisk together the milk and eggs with the dry ingredients, continue whisking as you incorporate the butter and chocolate mixture.

Cover and refrigerate at least an hour, or overnight. Be sure to re-whisk the batter before you cook the crepes.

To Cook the Crepes:
Butter a hot fry pan (small or medium, not large) or crepe pan, then wipe out the excess butter with a paper towel so it is dry-ish. Pour in a small amount of crepe batter and tilt the pan as needed so the batter spreads and covers the bottom of the pan. As the edges begin to peel up flip the crepe with a spatula for a few seconds to cook the other side.


These are fabulous plain, or with strawberries and whipped cream, or with bananas, or with chocolate sauce, and, if you want to be completely decadent, you might want to fill these with chocolate ganache. Definitely drip some good chocolate sauce on these.

Here's an easy Banana Filling with Chocolate chips. I'm a big fan of chocolate and bananas.

Banana filling: Saute bananas cut in 1/4" slices in melted butter with brown sugar. Shake the pan to make sure the bananas are well coated. Cook bananas until they begin to brown and carmelize (3 min?). Flip the bananas and cook other side until brown. Remove from heat. Place bananas and chocolate chips (yes, more chocolate) on half a crepe, fold in half and half again or anyway you like to stuff your crepes. When you've stuffed all your crepes, return to the pan that was used to cook bananas. Heat the crepes over medium heat to melt the chocolate chips. (I didn't give any proportions, because I really believe it depends on how many crepes you make, how thick and rich you want your filling, etc. This is the 'a little bit of this, a little shake of that' recipe.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

At first I want to buy flowers for my mother this coming mothers day but I think I have to buy chocolates with an awesome designs for a change...What do you think?

Janet Rudolph said...

Awesome. I especially like your photo chocolates!

Zelda Benjamin said...

Great recipe. I'm going to add the crepes to my menu for my Mother's Day brunch.