Friday, June 17, 2011
Chocolate Cherry Tart: National Cherry Tart Day
But back to the cherries. Since today is National Cherry Tart day, I'm posting a recipe for Chocolate Cherry Tart that was "blended and adapted" from recipes from Beverly Mills of Desperationdinners.com and Dianasaurdishes.com. Beverly's tart uses a 'plain' tart dough, but I can never have enough Chocolate! Diana has a wonderful chocolate tart recipe that's pretty fool-proof. Have a look at Dianasaurdishes' Raspberry Chocolate Tart Recipe. No time to make the tart shell? Feel free to substitute a prepared pie crust that's not chocolate. I like Trader Joe's frozen pie crusts.
CHOCOLATE CHERRY TART
Chocolate Pie Crust:
4 oz sweet butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened DARK cocoa powder
1. Beat butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the bowl and beat another minute so there are no lumps. Add egg yolk, beat well, and scrape downsides again.
2. Add flour and cocoa powder, beat on lowest speed until dough has just come together (but still has small to medium clumps) and looks moist with a dark uniform color. Scrape down bowl and use the spatula to incorporate anything that isn’t mixed in.
3. Put chocolate crust in an 11- to 12-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Use the heel of your hand to press dough and spread along the bottom of the pan and up the sides ( if you’re having trouble, refrigerate dough 15 minutes before pressing)
4. Cut off any dough above the top of the tart pan. Save dough for repairs. Place dough filled pan in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pan on cookie sheet and bake in lower third of oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and use leftover dough to repair any cracks. Bake another 8 minutes.
6. Remove tart pan to cooling rack and use rounded side of a spoon to press the center down and make more room for filling. Let cool completely (you can do this in refrigerator for faster results).
While the crust is baking, prepare the filling!
12 ounce 65-75% dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 1/2 pounds fresh sweet cherries, rinsed and dried (any cherries will work)
3 tablespoons Bonne Mamam Cherry preserves (or strawberry jelly)
1. Put chocolate and cream in a doubleboiler or a metal bowl on top of another bowl with simmering water. Melt together, stirring, until smooth. Set aside
2. Remove cherry stems, remove pits with cherry pitter. Set aside.
3. When crust is cool, pour chocolate into the crust and smooth evenly with the back of a spoon. Place cherries into the chocolate in concentric circles, stem side up, pressing into chocolate a bit to hold in place.
4. Put jelly in a small measuring cup and microwave on High until spreadable, about 15 seconds.
5. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the cherries with jelly just to glaze.
6. Place the tart in refrigerator, uncovered, to cool until chocolate is set, about 25 to 30 minutes.
7. To serve, remove sides of the tart pan. (Love this trick for removing the tart from the outside ring of the pan: Place the bottom of the pan over a small bowl that's smaller than the tart pan. The pan ring will fall away if sides have shrunk enough, or you can jiggle gently and pull down on the pan ring to remove.)
8. Slice into wedges, and serve cold.