CHOCOLATE CHERRIES JUBILEE CAKE!
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1- 1/2 cups cake flour or 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1- 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided use
1/2 cup unsweetened DARK cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Canola oil
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 tsp Madagascar vanilla extract
1 (16 or 17-ounces) can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained (reserve 3/4 cup liquid)
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp Kirsch or Cherry Brandy
1 tbsp cornstarch
Vanilla ice cream
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
2. For Cake: Stir baking soda into buttermilk in medium bowl until dissolved; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa and salt. Add oil, buttermilk mixture, egg yolks and vanilla and beat until smooth.
4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold egg whites into chocolate batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan.
7. For Cherry Sauce: In medium saucepan, stir together reserved cherry liquid, cherry liqueur, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add cherries and orange peel.
8. Serve cake with a scoop of ice cream and Cherry Sauce spooned over the top.
CHOCOLATE CHERRIES JUBILEE
1/2 cup dark cherry preserves (I love Bonne Maman)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons Cognac or Kirsh
1 pint chocolate chocolate chip ice cream
Toasted sliced almonds (optional)
1. Melt preserves in heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Mix in cinnamon and Cognac.
2. Scoop ice cream into bowls. Spoon sauce over (you can ignite it for special effects and then pour :-). Sprinkle with almonds (optional)