Wednesday, February 10, 2010
National Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownie Day
February 10 is National Cream Cheese Brownie Day, and Betty Crocker has a great standby recipe I'm going to make to celebrate. 15 minutes to make; an hour to bake, or there abouts. I'm not a purist. I've always loved Betty Crocker brownies, and this recipe is divine. Of course, it will work with homemade brownies, too. Here's a link to my Aunt Sylvia's brownies.
Betty Crocker® Cream Cheese Brownies
1 box (1 lb 6.5 oz) Betty Crocker® Original Supreme brownie mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
2 eggs or 3 eggs
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened *
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, stir brownie mix, pouch of chocolate syrup, oil, water and 2 eggs for fudgelike brownies (or 3 eggs for cakelike brownies), using spoon, until well blended. Spread in pan.
3. In another medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in vanilla and 1 egg just until blended.
4. Pour cream cheese mixture over brownie batter in pan; cut through mixture with knife several times for marbled design. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until cream cheese mixture begins to brown and toothpick inserted in brownie 2 inches from side of pan comes out clean or almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour. For 24 brownies, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store tightly covered and, if desired, in refrigerator.
* to soften cream cheese, microwave in bowl on high for 15 seconds.