Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Chocolate Applesauce Bundt Cake

Today is Applesauce Day, and I have a favor recipe for Applesauce Cake...that's Chocolate Applesauce Cake, of course. This recipe is from Kristin Donnelly and was in Food and Wine in 2007. I love it because it's a one bowl cake, and when it's made in a bundt cake, it's pretty, as well as easy. Applesauce cakes are usually spice cakes, so this recipe may remind you of the holidays. Nevertheless, it's great all year round, and today on Applesauce Day, you can make it to celebrate!

I used to make my own applesauce from my Gravenstein apple trees, but over the last few years, Topper and Rosie, my golden retrievers, have 'retrieved' the apples before they were quite ripe. Some years, I've picked up a flat or bushel along the road in Sebastopol in Sonoma county, famous for its Gravenstein Apples. But lately I've been buying my applesauce from Trader Joe's. They sell First Press Gravenstein applesauce. How great is that?

In this recipe I use chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips, but use what you have and what you like. I always have good chocolate around, so I tend to chop it up and use it in cakes and cookies. It changes things up in terms of taste! Also, always make sure your spices are fresh.

CHOCOLATE APPLESAUCE BUNDT CAKE

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 cups unsweetened applesauce  (applesauce from Gravenstein apples- my favorite!)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 stick usweet butter, melted
10 ounces dark chocolate, chopped or a 12-ounce bag semisweet-chocolate chips
Powdered sugar, for dusting
Crème fraîche, for serving

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour 12-cup Bundt pan.
In large bowl, whisk flour withgranulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, cloves and pepper. Whisk inapplesauce, eggs, oil and melted butter. Fold in chocolate chunks or chips.
Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until oothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
Transfer pan to a rack and let tcool for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and  cool completely, about 20 minutes. Sift powdered sugar over cake, slice and serve with crème fraîche.

Make Ahead 
Cake can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

No comments: