Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Almond Joy Cookies: Guest post by Mystery Writer Holly West

My worlds of Mystery and Chocolate cross again! My friend Holly West posted this recipe for Almond Joy Cookies on her blog yesterday and graciously agreed to let me repost here on DyingforChocolate.com.

Holly West is a crime fiction writer based in Los Angeles. Her short fiction has been featured in several anthologies and her debut novel, Mistress of Fortune, was published in 2014. Its sequel, Mistress of Lies, will be available in Fall 2014. Check out Holly's website at: www.hollywest.com

Holly West:

There is only one reason why I don’t do a lot of baking: calories. Most of the things I’d bake have lots of calories and I find it’s just best not to have those things around the house if I can help it. But recently, I bought a bag of shredded coconut for another recipe that I never ended up making and after a few weeks of it sitting around in my pantry next to a big bag of chocolate chips, I decided to do something about it. The result? Almond Joy Cookies.

ALMOND JOY COOKIES

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or grease them
3) Measure all ingredients except for the chocolate chips, coconut, and almonds in a large bowl and mix well.
4) Add the remaining ingredients and stir in well.
5) Drop rounds (I used a tablespoon) onto greased sheets about 2 inches apart.
6) Bake about 10 minutes, until cookies are lightly browned.
7) Cool on a wire rack.
8) EAT!

This recipe makes about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies, depending on how much dough you eat before you bake them. Yes, I know it’s dangerous to eat anything with raw egg in it, but I can’t resist cookie dough. Yet another reason why I don’t bake very often.

Enjoy!

No comments: