Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Kahlua Mexican Chocolate Cake: National Kahlua Day

I love Kahlua. It's such a versatile liqueur. Kahlúa is a Mexican coffee-flavored rum-based liqueur. It's dense and sweet, with the taste of coffee, from which it is made. Kahlúa also contains sugar, corn syrup and vanilla bean, so you see why it's often matched with chocolate in drinks, cakes, pies and candy.

I found a great Kahlua promotional cookbook at the flea market recently: The Best of Kahlua: A Guide to Food and Entertaining. (1970). There are some really great recipes in this book, but for National Kahlua Day, I think this recipe for Mexican Chocolate Kahlua Cake is perfect! Make it today or save the recipe and make if for Cinco de Mayo. It's so easy and delicious!




7 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I've been "dying" to try this recipe from that booklet. As a matter of fact, Janet, if you get a chance, you should see the revise I did for National Kahlua Day on my blog. There's even a recipe for Kahlua Kugel!

Thanks for sharing...Pinned!

Janet Rudolph said...

Yes, the kugel recipe is in this cookbook, too.. can't wait to make it.. sounds yummy, Louise.

~~louise~~ said...

It sure does sound intriguing Janet. Perhaps someday...

Anonymous said...

What a decadent looking cake!

What's Baking?? said...

I've just tried baking an opera cake which used Kahlua and i'm now in love with Kahlua. This is a great recipe. will bookmark this..thanks for sharing Janet!

Janet Rudolph said...

What's Baking??, what's an opera cake? Recipe?

Anonymous said...

This cake is incredible!!!! I make it every year for my baby's Birthday and it's perfect every single time. Rich, chocolaty and with a hint of the liquor. I also add a touch of cayenne and cinnamon to amp up the Mexican chocolate flavors. Just delicious!