Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cocoa Spiced Salmon

I'm at the Coast this weekend, and I was trying to come up with a recipe for fish using chocolate. With Cinco de Mayo coming up, I have mole on the brain, but I was really hoping to do something else--although mole goes well with firm fish. Then I remembered a recipe I made last summer. I found it on Yummly (Every recipe in the world). If you haven't been there, be sure and check it out. You can find just about anything there. The recipe below is from Dave Reifsnyder and appeared originally, I think, on Food.com. I changed it just a tad by adding more cocoa and a very spicy chile powder. 

Salmon Season starts Monday in Northern California, so this recipe is pretty timely. What I like about this recipe is that the inside of the salmon remains very moist. This rub, and that's what it really is since it's dry, is also good with any firm white fish--halibut, swordfish, opa, and other fish. You can also use this cocoa spiced rub with barbecued salmon.

Cocoa Spiced Salmon

Ingredients
1 lb salmon fillet
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
dash cinnamon
1 tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup dark ancho chile powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsps ground pepper (fresh)
1-1/2 tbsp kosher or sea salt

Directions
Rub salmon fillet with olive oil and press flesh side firmly into spice mix.
Place skin side down on broiling pan and broil for 10 minutes.
Move broiling pan into 425 degree oven and bake for additional 10 minutes or until center of filet is opaque.

Do you have a chocolate fish recipe you'd care to share?

2 comments:

Gina said...

We just made fish tacos for Cinco de Mayo with salmon. I will have to try this recipe out, especially since it include chocolate. :)
Thanks! Chocolate Mom

yummychunklet said...

Really, spicy chocolate-y salmon? That's worth trying!