Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

National Chocolate Ice Cream Day: Chocolate Ice Cream Cake

June 7 is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day and what could be better than  Chocolate Ice Cream Cake? You can always buy one at Baskins & Robbins or another ice cream shop, but here's a simple and very different recipe for "Chocolate Ice Cream Cake (but not what you think)" posted by Aleta Meadowlark at Omnomicon. Aleta collects cookbooks, specifically by New England civic organizations between 1950 and 1980 for fundraising purposes. That's quite a niche. The following recipe comes from one of those cookbooks, Potpourri from Calvary (Calvary Baptist Church in Easthampton). 

I first made this cake when I saw Aleta's recipe last year. OMG! You're going to love this. This could become your favorite birthday cake! 

The secret ingredient in this cake is Chocolate Ice Cream. This is a simple recipe with stunning and tasty results. It's unbelievably moist--well, it has chocolate ice-cream in it! And, there are all kinds of possible variations--different ice cream, different cake mixes. I usually use Duncan Heinz Devil's Food Cake mix. I don't ice this cake because I think it's already so rich.

You can also add dark chocolate chunks to this cake. Just fold  the chocolate chunks into the batter after it's beaten.

Be sure and soften the Chocolate Ice Cream. You can do this by scooping it into a bowl and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. Your mixer will do the rest of the work.

I've adapted the recipe a bit by adding the chocolate chunks and always using a great dark chocolate ice-cream. You can, of course, make your own cake batter with cocoa and flour and sugar, etc, but this is sooo simple.

Chocolate Ice Cream Cake (but not like you think)

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 pint good quality dark chocolate ice cream, softened
3 eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup broken dark chocolate chunks (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a tube or bundt pan, then dust with cocoa powder.

Beat all ingredients together for 4 minutes.
Fold in dark chocolate chunks,  pour into pan and bake 45 minutes.
Serve with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar.

Photos: Aleta at Omnomicon Be sure and click to see the other photos

7 comments:

Esme said...

OHHH-National Chocolate Day-I love it. I have never made chocolate ice cream-I usually make fruit flavors.

Janet Rudolph said...

I didn't make the ice cream in this one, but I definitely need to blog about chocolate ice cream making. Cute kitty, by the way.

Esme said...

Thank you on the kitty comment-she was my first kitty-who is now hopefully enjoying a good life over the rainbow bridge.

I just received a review copy of Spice Dreams -ice cream with spice-I do not think I have time to make ice-cream for tomorrow-but there will be a post about it. Can I come to one of you Chocolate teambuilding events-if you can not get along eating chocolate when will you get along?

Janet Rudolph said...

Looking forward to your review of Spice Dreams. Tasted a lot of spicy chocolate today at the Napa Luxury Chocolate Salon. It would be great chocolate to add to make ice-cream since it already has spice..

We only do corporate Chocolate TeamBuilding events, but maybe you could come. They're such fun!

Andrea said...

Looks delicious!...May I ask Janet? Do you have an ice cream business?

~~louise~~ said...

Now that's my kinda recipe. Cake Mix and Chocolate Ice Cream. How could I go wrong?

Thanks for sharing, Janet.

Happy Chocolate Ice Cream Day!!

Janet Rudolph said...

No ice cream business at all. I blog chocolate recipes, reviews and news.